Last week I wrote about James Bond, a regular subject on TV quiz shows. Today’s piece gathers together a selection of questions and challenges about Bond movies and theme songs from the last couple of years’ worth of shows like “The Chase”, “Fifteen to One” and “Tenable”, and from the Pop Master quiz on Ken Bruce’s BBC Radio 2 show. Many of the answers can be found in that earlier piece. All of the answers appear here. All of these questions and challenges relate to the 24 official Bond movies, so “Never Say Never Again” (1983) and the 1960s version of “Casino Royale” are not included.
- In which Bond movie does the villain’s car turn into a light aircraft? [From “The Chase”, 24-May-2018]
- Who recorded the theme to the 1997 movie “Tomorrow Never Dies”? [From Pop Master, BBC Radio 2, 13-Jun-2018, Bonus Round on Bond Songs]
- Roald Dahl wrote a script for which Bond movie? [From “The Chase”, 15-Feb-2018]
- Carly Simon wrote and sang “Nobody does it better” for a 1977 Bond movie. What is the film’s title? [From Pop Master, BBC Radio 2, 13-Jun-2018, Bonus Round on Bond Songs]
- Which Bond movie was directed by a Sam and has a theme song by a Sam? [From “The 100k Drop”, 25-May-2018]
- Which 1997 Bond film features Jonathan Pryce as a media mogul? [“Mastermind” general knowledge round, 18-Aug-2017]
- Who sang the theme song for 1989 Bond film “Licence to Kill”? [From Pop Master, BBC Radio 2, 13-Jun-2018, Bonus Round on Bond Songs]
- The Louis Armstrong hit “We have all the time in the world”, which reached the Top 10 in 1994, was originally featured in which 1969 James Bond film? [From Pop Master, 13-Jun-2018, Bonus Round on “I’ve got a secret”; also on Pop Master, 5-Jan-2017, Bonus Round on “Hits from the movies”]
- Gemma Arterton played the part of Strawberry Fields in which Bond film? [From “The Chase”, 7-Sep-2017]
- Who reached the Top 10 with the 1981 Bond theme “For Your Eyes Only”? [From Pop Master 19-Sep-2017]
- Who is the only non-European to play James Bond? [From “The Family Chase”, Sat 16-Sep-2017]
- In 1995 Bono and the Edge wrote the theme for a James Bond movie; who sang it and what was it called? (From Pop Master 12-Oct-2017)
- Which weightlifter, who won a silver medal at the 1948 Olympics, went on to play Oddjob in the James Bond film “Goldfinger”? [From “Fifteen to One”, 22-May-2017]
- Which James Bond theme was recorded by Duran Duran? [From Pop Master, 13-Mar-2017]
- Who was the first person to sing a Bond theme and have a role in the film? Possible answers: Tina Turner, Sheena Easton, Madonna [From “The Chase” 26-Oct-2017]
4 Challenges from “Tenable”
There are 10 correct answers for each of these challenges, and they cover the 24 official Bond films up to and including the 2015 release.
- Name the first 10 Bond movies alphabetically. [From 3-Nov-2017, a jackpot round in which the contestants won £11,000]
- Name the 10 James Bond films with 3- or 4-word titles. [From 13-Feb-2018, a jackpot round in which the contestants did not win the prize fund]
- Name the performers of the last 10 Bond theme songs. [From an episode repeated on 3-Jul-2018]
- Name the 10 10 actors or actresses who have played James Bond or Miss Moneypenny (6 actors, 4 actresses). [From 16-Feb-2018]
2 Lists from “Who Dares Wins”
- The Jackpot Round on 17-Mar-2018 asked the Champions to give the titles of up to 15 songs and themes featured in James Bond films. The contestants got 6 right, for £10,000. There were dozens of possible answers. There are links to a selection of the correct answers (not all of them) on the answers page.
- The Jackpot Round on 13-May-2018 asked the Champions to give the names of up to 15 characters from James Bond films. Again the contestants got 6 right, for £10,000. There were hundreds of possible answers. There is a selection of the correct answers (not all of them) on the answers page.