In December 2017 I wrote this piece listing 25 answers to quiz questions where it’s usually worth having a guess, offering the following advice:
It’s worth having a guess as long as you’re not going to lose money or points or be eliminated from the game for being wrong. If a question begins with the words “Which British Prime Minister”, and you don’t know the answer, you might as well say “Winston Churchill”. If it includes a reference to an Egyptian queen it’s probably Cleopatra. If there’s mention of an Australian model it’s almost certainly Elle McPherson.
Here are a further 50 examples where it’s usually worth having a guess, based on key words in the question. If it mentions a “South American mountain range”, it’s almost certainly the Andes. “Cambodian temple” usually means Angkor Watt. “Emily Bronte novel” is always “Wuthering Heights”.
As in the earlier piece, these suggestions are listed in a table, and there are sample questions immediately afterwards.
|If a question includes the words:||The answer is usually or definitely:|
|Fictional diarist (male)||Adrian Mole|
|South American rainforest||Amazon|
|South American mountain range||Andes|
|Cambodian temple||Angkor Watt|
|A continent with a geographical location (mountain, river, sea, province) that you’ve never heard of||Antarctica|
|Street artist / Graffiti artist||Banksy|
|Ice cream company||Ben & Jerry’s|
|Fictional diarist (female)||Bridget Jones|
|Korean boy band||BTS|
|French female fashion designer||Coco Chanel|
|Surrealist painter / Spanish surrealist||Dali|
|Bradford-born artist||David Hockney|
|Long-running radio show||Desert Island Discs|
|Mexican artist (male)||Diego Rivera|
|Bram Stoker novel||Dracula|
|Mary Shelley novel||Frankenstein|
|Mexican artist (female)||Frida Kahlo|
|Brazilian model||Giselle Bundchen|
|Canadian pop star||Justin Bieber|
|Female historian (British history)||Lucy Worsley|
|Dorset town||Lyme Regis|
|Inca city||Macchu Pichu|
|Scottish queen||Mary Queen of Scots|
|Canadian crooner||Michael Buble|
|Herman Melville novel / Book about a whale||Moby Dick|
|Leonardo da Vinci portrait||Mona Lisa|
|Trinidad-born rapper||Nicki Minaj|
|Chanel fragrance||No 5|
|North African desert||Sahara|
|US horror writer||Stephen King|
|Asian mausoleum||Taj Mahal|
|Radio soap||The Archers|
|Canadian R&B star||The Weeknd|
|Doomed ship / Sinking ship||Titanic|
|Character created by Jacqueline Wilson||Tracy Beaker|
|Arts prize||Turner Prize|
|Jamaican runner||Usain Bolt|
|Emily Bronte novel||Wuthering Heights|
Sample questions (in the same order as in the table above)
- Schoolgirl Pandora Braithwaite is the love interest of which fictional diarist?
- Which online retailer acquired MGM Studios for over 8bn dollars?
- Samaumera is the tallest type of tree in which South American rainforest
- The Misti volcano is in which South American mountain range?
- The towers of what Cambodian temple symbolize the peaks of the legendary Mount Meru?
- The Onyx River is the longest river in which continent?
- “If you don’t mask you don’t get” is a 2020 work by which street artist?
- Peanut butter and cookies is a vegan flavour of ice cream made by which American company?
- In 2021 the value of which digital currency rose to 30,000 dollars for the first time?
- “Army of Me” was the first UK Top 10 hit for which Icelandic singer?
- In a series of films, Renee Zellweger played which fictional diarist created by Helen Fielding?
- “Face Yourself” is a 2018 album by which Korean Boy Band?
- Which Polish composer gives his name to a Warsaw piano competition?
- Which French woman launched her first perfume in 1921?
- Businessman Fred Flynn made 718 flights on which supersonic jet?
- Which Chinese philosopher was given the title “Extremely Sage Departed Teacher”?
- “The only difference between me and a madman is that I’m not mad” is a quote attributed to which Spanish surrealist?
- “Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy” is a 1970s work by which Bradford-born artist?
- Eric Coates, the composer of “The Dam Busters March”, also wrote theme to which long-running BBC Radio programme?
- Which Mexican painter created the “Man at the Crossroads” mural for the Rockefeller Centre?
- Which Bram Stoker novel begins with a journal entry dated May 3rd?
- “Chicago Freestyle” was a hit for which Canadian rapper?
- Professor Waldman is a character in which Mary Shelley novel?
- “Diego and I” is a 1949 work by which Mexican artist?
- In 2009 American Football star Tom Brady married which Brazilian model?
- Drew House is a clothing line by which Canadian pop star?
- Which female historian presents the series “Royal Palace Secrets”?
- Which Dorset Town has a museum built on the site of Mary Anning’s fossil shop?
- Aguas Calientes is the nearest town to which Inca city?
- The Casket Letters were said to have been written by which Scottish queen?
- “Haven’t Met You Yet” was a Top 5 hit for which Canadian crooner?
- Dough Boy is the ship’s steward in which Herman Melville novel?
- A 1915 opera by Max von Schillings was inspired by which Leonardo da Vinci portrait?
- “Gravity Assist” is a podcast by what space agency?
- Which Trinidad-born rapper guested with Little Mix on their single “Woman Like Me”?
- “Forever the fragrance of the moment” is the slogan of what Chanel perfume?
- “Take a Bow” was a UK #1 in 2008 for which Barbados-born singer?
- Marathon des Sables is a race in what North African desert?
- “Riding the Bullet” was first mass-market e-book by which US horror writer?
- About 1000 elephants were used in the construction of which Asian Mausoleum?
- Somerset House is a London landmark that overlooks what river?
- Lexi Viktorova is a Bulgarian character in which radio soap?
- In 2021, which Canadian R&B star had a hit with “Save Your Tears”?
- Ioan Gruffud plays 5th Officer in which film about a doomed ship?
- In 2009 Brazilian supermodel Giselle Bundchen married which quarterback?
- Which Jacqueline Wilson character was played by Dani Harmer in a TV series?
- Anthony Gormley was the 1994 winner of which Arts Prize?
- Which Jamaican runner became entitled to be known as The Honourable in 2019?
- Hareton Earnshaw is a character in which Emily Bronte novel?
- Qutang is the shortest of the Three Gorges on which Chinese River?